Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Selective electroplating to produce text and markings?

On 14/02/18 14:07, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if it's possible to use an electroplating process together with some kind of mask to produce text and markings on a sheet of metal? Like etching a circuit board, but in reverse?

I'm thinking of data plates and clock dials, that kind of thing. Perhaps zinc or tin on copper. Anyone tried it?

I couldn't find any web pages about this, but it seems like it ought to be possible. It would be interesting to know if it works and what the contrast and durability are like.

Best wishes,

Chris

I don't any reason why it wouldn't work. If i was going to do it I would
do it just like I do PCBs. You can buy spray photoresist from the likes
or RS, Maplin and others. I've used it in the past for etching letters
out of copper foil which were later encased in glass. Then chose your
electroplate or electroless process and give it a go.