Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:50:03 -0600, Ignoramus14057
wrote:

I bought a very large geat cutting machine for scrap. This machine is
sitting in a pit full of oil. I spoke to the person who maintained it
and he says that the oil is only lube oil and NOT cutting oil.

I have a oil fired furnace Clean Burn CB2800. I burn all my oil,
mostly used hydraulic oil, in it to save on natural gas costs. The
instruction to the furnace says "DO NOT USE CUTTING OIL". I am not
sure why exactly, either the furnace will be damaged or due to
environmental regulations.

Cutting oils might have heavy metals in them which the EPA doesn't
want floating around the atmo. Or the chlorinated types might corrode
the burners or valving.

Someone else from the company said that cutting oil "might" be in it.

How can I tell? Is smell a good enough indicator? Is there any easy
test that I can subject the oil to?

I am talking at least a ton of oil if not several tons. And I need all
that oil if I can burn it.

I wonder how much it would cost to have a lab test it for composition.
You're in the right area for it: industrial. I wonder if oil
recyclers have that capacity now.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.