Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 17:40:05 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 14/02/2018 2:50 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

But what you're really looking for is an indicator that a material is
or is not cutting oil. There's no assurance of this, but most
dedicated cutting oils have contained sulfur for decades. The ones
that don't are more recent formulations.

I wonder what the chances are that there's a mix of cutting and
lubricating oil. And, even if sulfer isn't present, there might be
other components not good for the burner, or that might emit toxic
fumes. (more toxic than from burning straight lubricating oil...)

Jon

---

I'm guessing that the manufacturer of Iggy's oil burner was more
concerned about damage to the burners than to pollution, unless it's a
new one.

Until the last decade or so, industrial cutting oils usually contained
sulfur and, often, they were chlorinated. Neither one sounds healthy
for metal burners -- or for your lungs.

Cutting oil recycled in a sump is sure to contain ultrafine metal
particles, as well. Filters in those systems have their limits.

--
Ed Huntress