Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do You Still Use Your Abrasive Saw(s) ?

On 2/7/2018 3:10 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I use mine occasionally.Â* I used it a few weeks ago to break down some
steel square tube for a couple projects.Â* In that case I had the little
band saw pretty busy breaking down solid bar stock, the mills were all
running, and I didn't want to stand around.Â* I used the abrasive saw to
break down and cut all the pieces for a welded washing machine stand to
raise and prelevel a machine in a location where it could not easily be
leveled and the floor would catch and bend the feet if preleveled.Â* The
other project was a simple rack for firewood to get it off the ground
and annoy the termites.Â* I thought that was an exception.Â* If that
bandsaw hadn't been busy I'd have used it.

What was the device used in Asimov's "Foundation"? It would cut steel
by separating the molecules. I always wanted one of those ...along
with my flying car!