Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quooker

On 13/02/2018 21:06, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So she wants a quooker!
Discuss:-)

We installed one a few years ago because the new kitchen is a long way
from the hot water cylinder and it was taking ages - and wasting lots of
water and energy - waiting for the hot tap to run hot.

Our Quooker is the combi type, which has a dedicated boiling water tap
and also feeds the hot tap by mixing boiling and cold water.

OK, it's expensive - but it's a joy to turn on the hot tap and get
virtually instant hot water. The boiling water is great for making tea
and coffee, and also for filling saucepans when cooking spuds, etc.

When washing up water starts to go cool before you've finished the
washing up, a quick shot of boiling water livens it up beautifully.

Cold water is supplied to the Quooker through a check valve, and
expansion is taken care of by a pressure release valve whose output is
teed into a drain pipe.

We're in a relatively hard water area, and I've had to de-scale the
spout on the boiling tap a few times, but otherwise it's been ok. We
have no separate water softening device - except for one of these snake
oil devices with a coil of wire round the rising main, which SWMBO
insisted on years ago - long before we installed the Quooker.
--
Cheers,
Roger