Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT Cloud cuckoo land.

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 17:51:18 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 17:23:46 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:56:35 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

snip

The point it the majority did not vote to leave the EU, a minority did
(1/3rd of the electorate).

That part shows how stupid you really are.

Ok, let' see how this pans out ...

Why do you automatically assume the non-voters would have voted your way?

Where have I stated that?

Because you wanted them to be counted, even though they took their right to not vote.

Ok, let's try stating a couple of facts and see how you cope:

1/3rd of the electorate voted to leave the EU.
2/3rds of the electorate didn't vote to leave the EU.

Ok?

Non-voters are not counted, end of story.

Well, they are 'counted' but not counted for or against etc. They are
also differentiated against those who spoiled their papers etc (and so
both *must* be 'counted').

No, they don't count

I never said they 'counted' (to a left brainer).

or get counted whatsoever.

Did they just vanish then? According to all the results I saw there
were 46,500,001 people able to vote, 33,551,983 did vote and therefore
12,948,018 didn't. I can see those numbers, can't you ... or did you
think I meant they had special ballot papers that just appeared on
their own in the ballot box marked 'Didn't vote' that were actually
'counted'?

The only sensible thing to do is assume they would have voted in the same proportions as those that bothered to get out of their arm chair.

And what does an assumption make out of you or I (and your use of
emotive words like 'bothered' says more than you realise).

It's not an assumption, it's simple statistics.

No, the 'assumption' that those who didn't vote 'weren't bothered' is
complete and utter bollix. I didn't vote either way but was bothered
enough to go and spoil my paper and have been much much more concerned
/ interested in the whole process then and since than millions of
others who just tossed a coin on the day ... or voted Leave g and
haven't given it another thought since.

If you want to see what proportion of cars are Volvos are on the M6, you don't count every single one do you?

How else do you do it ... other than by counting all the Volvos that
aren't on the M6 and deducting that from the total?

See, as a left brainer you are completely ignoring any potential
motivation (or lack thereof) behind why people didn't vote Leave or
Remain.

If they didn't vote, they cannot be counted,

Of course they can, I did, see above.

as we cannot know which way they would have voted.

Ah, a different thing altogether. The point is, even those who didn't
vote (should and do) 'still count' in society and as part of the
electorate.

If they wanted to influence the decision, they should have voted.

Many of them wanted to play a part (like me), but weren't willing to
simply toss a coin and vote like you did. And you did, especially if
you voted Leave as you don't have a f'ing clue what your vote actually
means yet!

eg. Some thoughts for you ... (that you may not be able to understand,
let alone consider or accept).

We were already in the EU (and still are of course). In general people
don't bother to vote for what they already have, because they already
have it.

they do if they think they're going to lose it.

Them thinking anything won't change their drive to vote (human
nature).

It wasn't clear what voting 'Leave' actually meant (and still isn't of
course) and how it might therefore compare with voting remain and so
they didn't vote for either (that was me).

The internet is there for anyone to research the possible outcomes.

Yeah, right. Some people have lives mate and do you think anything
they find would be any more believable than the BS published and
televised at the time?

Then we have the people who agreed between them that their votes would
cancel so they didn't vote.

Never heard of someone doing that,

Of course you wouldn't, you only see other people at the 'Brexiteers
Club'.

lthough that of course would cancel as they suggest.

Quite. And both my Mrs and daughter both voted Remain simply to
counter the votes of Leave from two racists they know. So there are 4
more votes in the 'voted' count that are for the wrong reasons.

If we added equal numbers of leave and remain to the outcome, it would not have changed the result.

Doh!

Therefore their votes weren't officially
counted as voting but their 'votes' were a controlled part of the
process nonetheless.

No, if the voting paper wasn't filled in, it's not counted AT ALL.

See above. A ballot paper posted but not filled in IS counted.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...ls-booklet.pdf

"Unmarked ballot papers should be rejected"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36044026

"Any ballots which are later rejected are included in these verified
ballots."

Anything else you want me to educate you on gambling Brexiteer?

When asking people if they want to change or change from the status
quo, it's only necessary to count the hands of the people who actually
*want* to do that, not of those who don't or don't care.

If people don't care, they don't care, we should only listen to those that do.

Of course you would say that, you are a left brained brexiteer and
from your POV, 1/3 of the electorate who voted Remain (or possibly 2/3
if you count those who didn't 'win') are completely disenfranchised?

That's 2/3rds of the electorate (and still ignoring the millions of
youngsters who are going to be impacted most but who couldn't vote)
you are now willing to ignore because they don't count for anything in
your black and white world.

And all those had the right to vote.

See above.

What is it that the fanatic Brexiteers are so petrified of that means
they don't want to see true democracy, the real 'will of the people'
in action? It's just as if they have had a lucky break but don't think
they could get away with it again? (Which says it all).

We got democracy,

No, we got what you consider to be democracy. Where were we given the
opportunity to change the default function of a UK referendum (a
plebiscite advisory poll) into something is should never have been?

we voted and chose to leave.

By 'we' you mean a minority of the electorate?

More people said leave than remain,

Yup, a 4% difference. Hardly a landslide or a clear indication of 'the
will of the people' eh?

so we leave.

So we might leave, it's not actually happened yet.

Funny that.

It might not be so funny for all of us if it really goes bad.

IHTH, but suspect it won't.

Nothing would help a normal person get into your warped mind.

Aww, the irony. Yup, I know, to many left brainers, right brainers are
just 'talking heads' and to be ignored.

Cheers, T i m