Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plug in warning light thingy -- needed

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 08:12:30 -0800 (PST), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi, I keep leaving my soldering iron on (yeah, I now, but I am old and easily distracted) and it is only a matter of time ...

So, I am looking for something to go between the wall outlet and the soldering iron plug that has a bright light on it.

I have searched around and can't find anything so I may have to make one, but being somewhat lazy, thought I'd ask here first in case I am reinventing the wheel.

Something like this with a honking big light on it. The iron is only two-wire so a two wire version would be OK too.
https://www.amazon.com/Female-Househ...dp/B0722RDRXW/

I have looked at several styles of those at homedepot and they seem to be RF-welded so no easy pulling them apart to add 10,000mc LED or something.

Anyone? Anything?

Why not simply hook up a timer to the input of the iron? Like an old
photographic lab timer. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Darkroom-Lo...e/332552162822

Set it for the length of time you think you are going to be using it.
If its less time and you forget..it will turn itself off. If its more
time than you have set..simply crank in another 10 minutes. If it
shuts off during soldering..it wont harm anything and you simply reach
over and add more time. You will know when it turns off easily
enough.

Simple, easy, works well.

---