Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 18:35:39 -0700, rbowman

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 23:10:22 -0000, rbowman wrote:

My father's second car was a Citroen 2CV. You had to elect whether to
put a "muffler" over the front to make the engine warmer or colder
depending on the weather.

Big trucks often have those.

http://www.belmor.com/winterfronts.html

You used to see impromptu devices on cars but with most newer cars using
on-demand electric fans I haven't seen them lately.

By newer you mean since about 50 years ago?

More recent than that. My '86 Ford pickup has an engine driven fan but
it's a longitudinally mounted straight 6. Transverse mounts need an
electric fan if the radiator is positioned for ram air flow. I don't
know if any transverse engine cars also mounted the radiator sidesaddle.

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the SUVs derived from light trucks
still use mechanical fans, although they probable are clutch or flex
designs.

Most of the newer SUVs are built on car chassis with FWD transverse
engines unless it is what they call "full size" (Excursions, Suburbans
etc)