Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT Cloud cuckoo land.

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 18:09:42 +0000, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
wrote:

snip

I agree totally, I would add though that there is another common
approach by employers in the UK, that is a reluctance to train workers
because they will then go to join a competitor, thus wasting the
investment.

That was mentioned when I was IT training (for 7 years, CNI, MCT,
A+CT) but most employers of the delegates we saw seemed to view it
from the other direction ... eg, if they make sure they train their
share then that means there will be plenty of trained people going
around?

The offer of training was also often used as a 'sweetener to keep
staff in lieu of increasing their wages (because the increased skills
and qualifications were 'theirs' and so also in their interests etc).

Then the financial bubble burst and training was seen as an expensive
luxury (AFA a company keeping it's head above water) and the existing
staff unlikely to push for pay rises or training for fear of losing
their jobs.

I'm not sure if that situation has recovered yet?

Cheers, T i m