Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plug in warning light thingy -- needed

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
Hi, I keep leaving my soldering iron on (yeah, I now, but I am old
and easily distracted) and it is only a matter of time ...

So, I am looking for something to go between the wall outlet and the
soldering iron plug that has a bright light on it.

I have searched around and can't find anything so I may have to make
one, but being somewhat lazy, thought I'd ask here first in case I
am reinventing the wheel.

Something like this with a honking big light on it. The iron is only
two-wire so a two wire version would be OK too.
https://www.amazon.com/Female-Househ...dp/B0722RDRXW/

I have looked at several styles of those at homedepot and they seem
to be RF-welded so no easy pulling them apart to add 10,000mc LED or
something.

Anyone? Anything?

Sorry, no big honking lights. I made a tiny squeaking one from this
clip-on current transformer and two LEDs:
https://www.amazon.com/YHDC-SCT006-C...t+Transformer&

The old parts-drawer LEDs in it now are rather dim at 0.8mA. It shows
if the fridge is on when the fan in my DC-AC inverter drowns out the
compressor hum, so I don't unplug the fridge to move it from the grid
to the inverter unless it's stopped.

I'd like to add it to a controller that turns the inverter on when the
fridge needs it, and off afterwards, since the always-on inverter
consumes twice as much battery power as the intermittent fridge.

I added these over the wires to the electric baseboard radiators I use
as backup for the wood stove, to show if they have turned on. They
probably wouldn't light up for a soldering iron.
https://www.amazon.com/CR-Magnetics-...ent+sensor+led

Or you could just plug the iron into an outlet strip with a bright
switch light.
-jsw