Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default "pick two" was No More Landlords Or Realtors!

On 2/10/18 12:55 PM, wrote:
MIKE... I have found that many realtors are clinically, irretrievably
stupid. One could speculate brain damage and not be out of line. I
work with one or two a year, and that's it.

I used to have a lot of realtors that called and wanted full
estimates in writing, only to find that they wanted and estimate from
a reputable company to take to closing to make sure that repair
expenses were covered. I was nothing more than a bargaining chip
with no intention of being asked to the work.

I try to stay away from realtors, period. When you say you provide
free estimates, they think you are a public service provided by some
rich foundation so it is no big deal for you to spend a few days
measuring, finding product, estimating costs, and writing up a
legally binding contract. Hey, if it's free to them, it must be cheap
and nearly free to do, right?

That's a huge problem, right there.
They just want an estimate to use as a bargaining point to get the
seller to come down on price. In most cases, they never intend for the
work to even be done.

And I am tired of hearing the same old warmup when I meet on site.
"Well, Robert, I just want you to know who you will be bidding
against. I have a old guy in his 70s that is blind in one eye, and
doesn't have all the "fancy" tools, but can do work for me real
cheap. You are here because I couldn't find him for a couple of
weeks, and his daughter told me he couldn't come to work for me
because his truck is in the shop and he can't get it out because he
doesn't have any money. She told me it was vandalized when someone
stole all his tools. He didn't return my phone calls because he
never set up his voice mail and forgets to charge his phone so we
never connected and I didn't know all of that. I usually have to
give him half down on any repairs, but I don't think we can do that
this time. Did I mention how cheap he works?"

I tell people, straight up, I'm not going to be the cheapest guy and I
don't want to be.
I say there will always be somebody who will do it cheaper and they may
even be doing it all legally. :-)

What a contrast. Most of the realtors I know also think (no doubt
from hours of the DIY/Flip This House watching) that they really
designers at heart. If a house needs more than a paint job, you have
to indulge them while they "share their vision" of opening up a
space, making a room more dramatic, and bringing more light into an
area. My commercial folks are more along the line of "hey Robert,
can we get this in under 2K? Yeah? How soon?" I bid for the office
finish outs, but for the most part ****ing away two weeks of phone
calls and discussions for a $500 repair job just isn't worth their
time.

You said it perfectly, many realtors see themselves as designers.
I see it like the old saying,
"Music critics are usually poor musicians who couldn't make it in the
music business."
HGTV is good and bad for our business. I get to install (and remove in
10 years) all the silly fads on those shows. Barn doors, ship lap
paneling, etc., etc.

I don't now how Realtors still make a living. Wait, yes I do. The
buyer's and seller's agents each get 3%. Lame. Seller's agent, I get.
But a buyer's agent!?
What do they do!? Heck, 9 out of 10 houses our last agent brought to
the table, we had already seen on Zillow.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--