Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Buffing and Polishing

On 2/10/2018 6:13 AM, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 13:29:20 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

I'm finishing up some details embossing press dies in steel, and I'd
like to do a little bit nicer job. They flat part of the plate is
pretty easy. I go over it with a diamond hone, then some fine grit
paper, and finally hit it with the buffing wheel and some polishing
compound. Comes out looking fairly decent.

The embossing part looks looks pretty good, but I'd like to make it look
better. The finish pass with the smallest ball end mill leaves a pretty
good looking finish, but there are fine tool marks if you look close.
The big old buffing wheel just won't fit down in all the fine details so
I was thinking of maybe making a tiny soft cloth wheel to fit a rotary
hand piece mandrel and having a go at it some polishing compound.

I have a few failures from the project on my bits and pieces shelf I
could test it out on, but I'd like to know if I am just chasing my tail.

I got a set of mounted felt bobs and wheels from Brownell's long ago.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...t-prod610.aspx
Might be just the thing.

Pete Keillor

THAT might be just what I was thinking of. Like you said its cheap enough.