Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another typical anti-Brexit BBC spin...

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
It's an obscenity that houses can be snapped up by those with access
to funds then rented out at ridiculous sums to those with almost
nothing.

The obscenity is there is a shortage, encouraging speculators. They know
there is no will to build any more, despite the hot air. Its a major
reason for Brexit.

Nothing to do with Brexit. Tory policy. Sell off all the social housing
you can at a discount, to those who can afford to buy. Then the up and
coming poor have to rent in the private sector, putting the profits into
Tory pockets. Including any housing benefit. You just know it makes sense.
To a moron.

Actually Blair and Roche's policy of massive net immigration starting in
1998 - as per other post:

7.6 million between 1998 and 2017 (ONS data) of which net immigration
was 4.5 million from a starting point of 58.5 million.

13% increase in 20 years.

So that's the demand radically altered.

And successive governments doing very little to make sure the
infrastructure can cope with the higher numbers. Despite the vast majority
of those immigrants making a positive contribution to the economy of the
nation.

I agree with you on the council houses - she should have required they
be replaced 1:1, rather than (as I understand it) preventing replacement
stock being built for council housing.

Her prime motive was to convert historical Labour voters into Tories. By
bribing them - as old as the hills way of buying votes. And certainly
didn't want more coming along to replace them.

Also you have Brown's disastrous de-regulation of the banking sector
that led to insane mortgages (ie not 3.5x salary and 5-10% deposit
required) becoming the norm.

And the world wide crash really started in the US. Odd we have so much
influence.

So if we're blaming party politics, it's as much Labour's fault as the
Tories.

Thatcher was the one that made naked greed acceptable.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.