Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] is offline

Default OT Cloud cuckoo land.

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 13:11:15 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 09:08:19 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 10:34:53 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" wrote in
message ...
Once again the idiots advertise their complete ignorance of how the
single market works.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3762021.html

When Britain becomes a pathway for every bit of substandard crud the
US wants to throw at us, what right has the rest of the EU to refuse
it??

the same right that they have if the USA (or China) import it directly
them

that it doesn't comply with local product standards requirements

tim

Which is why customs will be needed,

but we don't have that system at the moment with imports from ROW

ROW?

We do have customs, I assume that technically we have some level of
customs intervention even with traffic from the EU, otherwise there
would be no blue channel at airports.

Customers checks are for the purposes of collecting duty, not checking
against product standards.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt in you choice of words. I am happy to
use the term customs checks for this process as long as you understand that
collecting duty and standards compliance are two distinct and separate tasks

Commercial importation is the same

manifests are read so that duty can be assessed.

Individual boxes are not opened so that product can be tested for product
compliance.

Hopefully we will have agreed an FTA so that there is no need for any duty
to be assessed and that part will be dispensed with too.

Customs does seem to have a low involvement now, at one time half the
type of stuff I order from Ebay would be opened and I think it was
over £12-00 in value before money had to be sent, but they never
failed to bill One.

domestic importation has been seen to cost them more than they collect

unless they suspect importation of an illegal substance you will often get
away with it.

I notice that the stuff that comes directly from China is labelled up
"samples" or suchlike, makes a change from "used clothing left after
holiday".

Even posting houseplants to Ireland was a customs holdup, I seem to
recollect it wasn't straight duty though, it was an "import licence".

This wasn't a payment of duty, this was payment for a right to import
a specific type of product. i.e compliance.

The actual costs was miniscule, but I remember the balls of dried
earth that fell from the package when it was finally delivered.

Maybe the issuing department was the ministry of agriculture or
suchlike, but the interception was done by customs.

We have a system of checking product compliance at point of sale (usually
initiated by extra-governmental bodies such as consumer advice
organizations)

Because the theory that, just because a product has come from inside the
EU
it must automatically comply (because all EU companies are good boys who
will followed the rules) is incorrect.

The two biggest scandals of broken standards in that past 10 years, the
beef
that was really horse and Dieselgate were both perpetrated by companies
from
INSIDE the EU, so that method of checking at point of sale cannot be
dismantled and replaced with checks at point of entry..

if a product line is not in
keeping with internal standards, trading cannot continue unimpeded.

Of course it can.

It is. Try buying sodium chlorate or a 2.5kW domestic vacuum.

and this is enforced at point of sale

what point are you making?

Trading in the items is impeded, I would have to go to a lot of effort
to try to obtain sodium chlorate for instance.

I do not know the full mechanism, currently, but I am aware that
customs regulations were the reasons for holdups from Europe before
the EU.

they were

buy they won't be reinvented just for the sake of it (if they do it to us,
we will do it to them)

logistics has changed in the past 30 years

even importation from countries such as Ukraine are a million times easier
than 30 years ago

Everything is done by pre-authorization on computer

as long as there is no reasons for the customs official to suspect that
what's in the truck is not what's on the manifest, you get waved through.
And when I say suspect that "there's the wrong thing in the truck" I mean
something fundamentally illegal such as guns, drugs or people. Not, out of
spec squeaky rubber ducks instead of in spec squeaky rubber ducks.

tim

Dissapointing, I used to find that ferry travel, or at least
disembarkation was so much faster when we had customs :-(

AB