Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default [OT] Europeans on the minimum wage, no NHS access after Brexit

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
The whole point. We need trade deals to replace the EU. And despite the
optimists saying the world would be queueing up to do deals with the UK
post Brexit, absolutely no sign of that.

well of course they aren't queuing up whilst we are still ****ing around
with the "perhaps we'll stay in the CU" nonsense (FTAOD nonsense
referring
to the fact that we still haven't decided not that it would, or wouldn't
be,
a nonsense decision to do so)

They would have wasted their time if we did, so until we decide they are
doing something more immediately useful for their economy.

Quite. Like already be in some form of trade deal with others

not noticeably

- which
could have implications on any new one we might want to make with them.

Not in the sense that most people claim

Trade deals between countries do NOT contain clause on standards compliance
that make it difficult to make deals with other countries WTO rules don't
allow it.

In
exactly the same way as with the EU.

Which is why I cannot understand all this nonsensical claims that we might
end up with a deal with the EU which restricts us

Say country A sells beef to country B and country B sells cattle food to
country A. We would like to sell our beef to them. That has implications
on their existing deal.

Trade deals have to be comprehensive

They have to cover every product class

you cannot just pick a couple of sectors where you want to improve
relationship and forget the rest

accordingly, countries do not just strike up a deal with country B to
"stitch up" their supply of beef meaning that when country C comes along
there is no demand left to fill

They make deals with county B and country C across the whole range of
products and then let country B and C compete in the market for their
demand.

And of course on others things they trade between
one another that we might want to muscle in on.

I'm rather surprised this isn't obvious. It's not a few hundred years ago
where the UK was the workshop of the world and our empire would buy
anything we produced, in exchange for raw materials, etc.

you are right that when every country has a deal with every other country
there is no advantage

but the reality is that the number of deals that have been struck is tiny

there is still space to take advantage of being the early mover

that is why we have to leave the EU to DO IT NOW, instead of missing the
boat because getting the multilateral deal that the EU (necessarily) needs
takes forever.

tim