Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 2:09:59 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 19:02:12 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 02/08/2018 11:17 AM, wrote:

[snip

So you don't understand the metric system either. ;-)
A calorie (before it was hijacked by the food people as roughly a kilo
calorie) is the amount of heat necessary to raise a cc of water one
degree C. There is no easy relationship with that to joules or watts.

I remember that with food, they burn it and measure the heat produced.

I never thought of that as being anything like accurate. How can you possibly precisely contain the heat produced and subtract the heat from the flame you burned it with?

Here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorimeter

Cindy Hamilton