Peter Taylor

Default Building Notices

Ed Sirett wrote

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:50:12 +0000, Peter Taylor wrote:
As I said, I think we should feel some sympathy towards LA Building Control
departments at present. There are many impracticalities with the current

system
and often too much pressure for under-staffed departments to cope with,

which
I'm sure the eggheads at ODPM didn't foresee, and I wouldn't mind betting

we'll
see them giving the system another major shake-up before too long. In my

view
this should include making CORGI and FENSA etc legally responsible for

making
good any defective or non-compliant work wrongly certified by their

members.

They'd have to get the fitters to fill in the forms first!
The vast majority of replacment boilers I see don't have the log book
filled in. However I'm probably seeing a skewed situation since I would
probably only get called in to sort out a problem thus I see the worse end
of the installations, with faults and no paperwork.

This makes a mockery of the complete system doesn't it! If I get a
CORGI-registered firm to put in a new boiler for me and don't get any
documentation, am I in the clear legally as far as the Building Regs go? How am
I supposed to prove it to buyers and their solicitors, or to LA enforcement
officers come to that?

Peter