Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default No More Landlords Or Realtors!

On 2/8/2018 7:22 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
You get to select two out of these three:Â* Cheaper price, Quality
Work, Fast Work.Â* You get only two.Â* If somebody promises you all
three (holding up three fingers), they really are only giving you this
(extending only my middle finger).Â* It never failed to bring a smile
and usually closed the deal.Â*

Help me understand this.
I understand that Cheaper Price, Fast work results in low quality.
And quality work, fast work results in higher price.

But if you give them Cheaper price, Quality Work, but not fast, then
you're probably not making very little the hour and not making money.

Not necessarily. If you can work their needs in while in the area, or
while you have a break between jobs that figures in to your schedule.
The problem arises when they demand all three parameters on their terms.

I will do XXX for $2,000.

At that price I have provided you, the client, with quality work at a
cost that is both reasonable for him and provides a profit for me.

The $2,000 is my price point to make the desired profit.

If the you turn around and decides that you wants the job done at that
price, with quality assured but want me to drop everything else and get
it done tomorrow, that will not happen since it means my other clients,
expecting their work done correctly in the time frame agreed to will be
left out in the cold.

If I choose to accede to your demands/time frame, you WILL pay for it.
With me, it will be monetarily, if I can accommodate you time wise with
no difference in the quality of the work performed.

Others may give you the time frame, but likely will not give you the
quality. Something has to give.

Note that I'm speaking of professional services rather than carpentry or
the trades, although I think it applies equally across the board.

Call a lawyer tomorrow and ask him what he'll charge you to defend you
on a contested traffic violation. Got the price? Okay, now call him
back and tell him your court appearance is tomorrow morning at 10:30AM
or maybe kick it up a notch and mention, "by the way, court is at the
Branch Court in the SE corner of the county, not at the county seat"
where is office is located. Let me know what he says.

Shall we talk about a plumber coming out in the evening or weekend? If
you find one that won't be charging a differential for nights, weekends,
or "Jesus H. Keerist! You gotta get here RIGHT NOW, I'm floating" don't
mention his name as you'll never get through on his phone again!