Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do You Still Use Your Abrasive Saw(s) ?

On 2/8/2018 2:59 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 13:10:02 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

snip
Last week my little 4x6 band saw went tits up. When I opened the gear
box I found the brass worm gear (the steel screw was fine) had turned to
chowder and the oil in the gear box looked like a gold metal flake paint
that belonged on a 1980s low rider.

I thought somebody else would jump on this but guess not...

I don't know for how long it went on but that gearbox was noted to
have casting sand in it as delivered from HF. Which may still be the
case. It was recommended to open it up, drain the oil and flush it out.
Several old posters here encountered this...

My Dad bought one many years ago. He took the original motor off and
replaced it with an old washing machine motor. The original motor ran
really HOT. I doubt he ever looked in the gearbox though. It cut a LOT
of material for him and it still works okay. I'm guessing it was
purchased in the mid 80's. An old poster here hmm... Grant, that was
him had some nice tips for tweaking them. Looks like his info is still
available via the wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080205.../4x6bsFAQ.html

I see the mention of sand in his tips. Might have been where I
heard of it. There's a whole bunch of info out there nowadays. Found
oodles looking for Grant's old stuff...

Â* And there is a 4x6 band saw group on yahoo ... with tons of info ,
including how to find and install a replacement for that stripped gear .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on