Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default No More Landlords Or Realtors!

On 2/8/18 4:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 1:12:58 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/8/18 11:31 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Ed Pawlowski on Thu, 8 Feb 2018 10:41:57 -0500
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On 2/8/2018 12:50 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, I guess there's always that. I can quote a price, if
they don't bite... fine. But man, it gets old dealing with
the rolling eyes. I had something in the music business I
balled the B:B ratio. Bull**** to benefit. Sometimes there's
just way to much bull**** that outweighs the benefit.

I guess for these types of clients I'll break out my favorite
motto... "I may be slow, but at least I'm expensive." :-D

I guess I just had to vent.

I understand, your B:B ratio, it is not just construction, it
is most every business. There are times it is best to walk
away. I remember one customer calling me to say my quote had an
error. It was something like: 1000 pcs $1.00 each 2000 pcs
$1.50 each 5000 pcs $2.00 each He ordered 1000 and found a new
supplier.

I recall a story of a hotel chain wanting to decorate with a
"Tropical" theme, and commissioned a coconut carving for a
prototype. "No problem - Ten bucks." They like the guys work,
then say "We'd like a buttload more." He said " Okay 15, each."
They wanted to know why he was charging so much, and he said,
"the first one is fun. After that, it becomes work."

Absolutely!! That's how it is on many projects I've done. I take
on lots of builds simply because I've never done one before. When
those clients say, "Oh, we'll tell all our friends about you and
your work." I always reply, "That's awesome, just don't tell them
what I charged." :-)

If it were me, I wouldn't reply in that manner. I'm of the mind that
it only takes one negative sounding comment - even if said in a
joking manner - to sour a deal.

I generally have a great relationship with my clients.
I think that's why I get called back so often.

I figure "Why even put that thought in their head?" All it does is
get them thinking "Hmmm... maybe I should shop around next time." Or
when they are talking to their friends, they may remember what you
said and pass it on - even jokingly - but their friends don't know
how good of a job you did. All they hear is "He's expensive."

Sorry, I may not have communicated what I was trying to say clearly
enough.
These types of starter projects are the ones I usually don't charge
enough for. In other words, the client got a killer deal on a superior
product and I ate the loss because I wanted to do the project for fun
and as a learning experience.
What I say, "Don't tell them what I charged," I'm saying that so the
people they refer me to don't expect to get the same uber-discounted
price they did.

I've gone through the same thing in the music business. Doing sessions
for $25 a song, just to get a foot in the door. But telling the
producers not to expect that rate in the future or spread the word that
I worked that cheap. No one wants to be the $25/song guy for 2 reasons.
1. You lose your shirt.
2. People assume you suck if you're that cheap.
Same thing applies in the trades.

"Thank you. It was great working with you. If your friends are as
nice as you, I would love to work with them." That's a response that
makes them feel good about themselves. You leave them feeling
positive, not wondering if you charged them too much, even if it's
just the tiniest little bit of a thought.

I have a huge percentage of call-back clients and I'm very confident in
my "bedside manner," but I believe it's the confusion pointed out above
that led you to offer that sage advice. ;-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--