Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default No More Landlords Or Realtors!

On 2/8/18 11:31 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Ed Pawlowski on Thu, 8 Feb 2018 10:41:57 -0500 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On 2/8/2018 12:50 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, I guess there's always that.Â* I can quote a price, if they don't
bite... fine.
But man, it gets old dealing with the rolling eyes.
I had something in the music business I balled the B:B ratio.Â* Bull****
to benefit.
Sometimes there's just way to much bull**** that outweighs the benefit.

I guess for these types of clients I'll break out my favorite motto...
"I may be slow, but at least I'm expensive."Â*Â*Â* :-D

I guess I just had to vent.

I understand, your B:B ratio, it is not just construction, it is most
every business. There are times it is best to walk away.
I remember one customer calling me to say my quote had an error. It was
something like:
1000 pcs $1.00 each
2000 pcs $1.50 each
5000 pcs $2.00 each
He ordered 1000 and found a new supplier.

I recall a story of a hotel chain wanting to decorate with a
"Tropical" theme, and commissioned a coconut carving for a prototype.
"No problem - Ten bucks."
They like the guys work, then say "We'd like a buttload more." He
said " Okay 15, each."
They wanted to know why he was charging so much, and he said, "the
first one is fun. After that, it becomes work."

Absolutely!!
That's how it is on many projects I've done. I take on lots of builds
simply because I've never done one before. When those clients say, "Oh,
we'll tell all our friends about you and your work." I always reply,
"That's awesome, just don't tell them what I charged." :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--