Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Finally Dumping Micros**t and need wise advice

In article ,
says...

Hard for a hack to mess that up.

You can't update the program on your connected machine and then move
it to the air gapped one?
I am surprised the tax folks don't give you the updates as a flat file
you can install anywhere. I haven't used a program for a while. I just
use the PC to fill in the PDFs I download from IRS. I put them on a
thumb drive, open that on a laptop that never sees the net and fill
them out. Print them and mail them.

Once th ecomputer is plugged into the internet for the tax files update,
it is no longer air gapped.

There should be a law the tax code should be written by the end of
December for then ext year. That would give the tax programs and the
ones doing the taxes about a year to learn the rules .

I have not checked it out, but heard that the forms for the tax have not
even been made final by the feds.

Having been a computer user from the days of magnetic cassett tapes and
the old 5 inch disk drives, I really like to make backups of things.
That is one reason I have 2 computers I got off ebay for about $ 150
each for win 10 and a couple that still have XP on it. Not being a gamer
or doing anything that needs lots of computing powr, just about any
computer that is good enough for the operating system is fine for me.