Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] is offline

Default Calor/ Propane gas bottles, reallocation of use?

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 20:13:16 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

On 06/02/2018 19:56, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 19:41:32 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

One out of 2 possibly!
Brian

Probably!

But thanks to the data it seems that 20bar is a reachable test
pressure. This gives me a very wide margin of safety.

Methinks that there might be laws about modification of the end use of
LPG cylinders. If there isn't there should be:-)

In theory, you don't own the bottles (assuming you are in the UK)- at
least for those I've dealt with. You have a 'lease', which you pay for,
and, at one time, if you returned a bottle with the agreement, you could
get part of the fee back. I suppose you really lease a bottle to 'swap'
when you get a refill but the concept is the same.

There is something similar in France- we've 'leased' a French bottle (Le
Cube) which we use when traveling in France. (You can't get Calor in
Europe.) As it was explained, if we return the bottle, we get a partial
refund. Otherwise, we swap it (obviously with a few) for a full one when
empty.

YouTube is full of people happily cutting open gas bottles to make all
kinds of things. Even advice on removing the valves etc.

I'd not do it myself nor would I advise it.

No I was warned about cutting the cylinder I took to the local
scrapyard. When he wouldn't accept it, I offered to cut it up for him.

I had a wonderfull explanation of how the cylinder walls absorb the
gas over the years.

It really did sound impressive and he must have believed it!

I didn't even bother trying to argue.

We had a character working in bottled gasses that had a nice sideline
making sleeping policemen out of cylinders. Oxygen, Hydrogen, Propane
Co2, anything, it didn't matter and he cut them with a torch :-)

I wasn't official company policy, the P45 was though :-)

AB