Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Opposed piston Diesel engines / was interesting engines

On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 20:09:08 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 23:48:24 -0500, Clare Snyder

wrote:

Ah dinna know that. What was the actual resistance, or did you
measure it?

How would you measure a very low resistance? It isn't easy.

My assumption was that you knew what it was since you used it. Isn't
that the way we do things? Find out everything we can about a subject
then build what we can using the knowledge gained? It's less
expensive than trial-and-error, and Buddha knows I'm che...frugal.

So, how did clare know to use it? Similar to nichrome, but why was
nichrome used, etc? Copying other equipment without specs can lead to
that kind of experimentation, but I was curious. About everything.
Coulda called me George, ah reckon.

And very low resistances are measured with very-low-resistance meters,
of course. :-) I've never seen a Kelvin bridge and haven't had a need
to measure anything with a super low resistance before. I read about
them at Coleman decades ago. Voltage drop calculations are hard with
tiny resistances, too. How would you do it, Jim?

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.