Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finally Dumping Micros**t and need wise advice

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 06:41:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 9:13:42 AM UTC-5, CRNG wrote:
On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 16:19:27 -0800, "Newgene McMensa"
newgene.mcmensaREMOVEREMOVEgmail.com wrote in

I'm looking for the super easy way for a feller with basic computer skills to
(a) acquire the software, (b) install it and (c) install the basic applications.
I would like to stay with MS Word & Excel, just because they do fine for
me and I don't need to learn anything else new dammit. LOL.

get an android or other tablet or small PC for surfing and email only.
You will like the portability.

Take your main PC off line.

Use whatever OS you like on your main PC but keep that main PC offline.
No more updates.

Use this PC for all your pics music etc.

Hackers are so sophisticated now, I would not trust all my data to anything other than an actual air gap...ie the PC is not connected to the internet.

and of course have good OFFSITE backups.

mark

It is really just as easy to avoid keeping anything you are worried
about off of your "browsing" PC and keep it well backed up. Do things
like your taxes on your air gapped machine. Most "hacks" are usually
things you clicked on and opened that you should not have.