Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram[_2_] Chris Bartram[_2_] is offline

Default Hyundai i20 water leak - from roof trim?

On 05/02/2018 22:34, wrote:
On 05/02/2018 22:22,
wrote:
On 05/02/2018 20:57, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
I finally got the right tuit to investigate how the boot of my wife's
i20 was getting wet. Having removed the right boot trim panel and
played
around for ages with a hosepipe I noticed that the offside roof trim
(the plastic strip that runs each side of the roof panel) is slightly
loose and I think this is where the water is getting in. I can't find
anything to tell me how the trim is held or sealed, or how to remove
it.
Is anyone here knowledgeable about i20s? If not I'll have to take it to
a bodyshop.

How old? Before you take it to a body shop get someone else to use
the hose
and check carefully from the inside whilst its getting sprayed.Â* If you
have a leaking seam in the roof youre in with a chance of getting it
repaired free.

My bothers Honda Civic started leaking through a roof seam and he
successfully argued with Honda that a roof (without a sun roof) should
NEVER leak and one that did wasnt fit for purpose. Honda eventually
agreed
to fix it at no cost.

Tim

That's interesting. It's 2009 with 70k miles, so I can't imagine that
Hyundai will be too interested, but I'll give them a call tomorrow.

... I forgot to say: there's nothing visible on the headlining, but
water drips out of a channel that is part of the rear corner structure
which goes to the roof.

In my experience, other than a leaky windscreen rubber with an older car
with a non-bonded screen, most "leaks" in cars are not actually things
leaking that shouldn't, but blocked drain holes meaning the water
doesn't run away when it should. My Audi A3 had an occasionally
recurring "leak" where water would collect behind the side trim in the
boot, and eventually overflow into the spare wheel well. It was caused
by a drain grommet on the underside becoming blocked with crud- a 2
minute job to take out and clean, then refit, once you knew it was there.