Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected][_2_] cpvh@o2.co.uk[_2_] is offline

Default PAT / safety-testing - domestic lighting?

On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 10:08:54 AM UTC, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 02/02/2018 09:26, Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:

he wouldn't be able to sell these
lamps because 'They would need PAT testing, first'

I can only think of one device I've purchased new, that came ready PAT
tested (an oscilloscope scope, the nice reseller had opened the box,
upgraded the firmware, included a UK mains lead and stuck a PAT sticker
on it).

I think the retailer is over-egging the PAT pudding.

Thanks Andy
It does seem a bit strange.
I can buy me a little PAT tester (probably 2nd-hand) - and do a formal
test, and stick a sticker on the lamp - but then (to be strictly
correct) you're into the calibration thing, which carries additional costs.
Bit of a slippery slope, perhaps?

The more important part of a PAT test is the viaual inspection. Either way, to carry one out and for it to have any weight, you would need to have a City & Guilds in PAT testing (at least that was the requirement about 10 - 15 years ago when I did it (one day course (not even a day if I recall correctly).

Cheers

Chris