Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 2:52:26 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
On 05/02/2018 07:37, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 12:33:16 AM UTC-6, Bod wrote:
On 05/02/2018 00:34, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 11:54:53 AM UTC-6, Bod wrote:
On 04/02/2018 17:11, wrote:
On Sun, 04 Feb 2018 11:51:08 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I've been trying to buy four refrigerator/freezer thermometers and it's
frustrating how inaccurate/inconsistent they are.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/P...=2,40733,40734

As an aside, I'm surprised that the US is still using Fahrenheit instead
of the universal Centigrade.
There's only about 8 countries that still use F.

Fahrenheit remains the official scale for the following countries:

The Bahamas, Belize, the Cayman Islands, Palau and the United States and
associated territories (Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
Canada retains it as a supplementary scale that can be used alongside
Celsius.
--
Bod

Bulb type thermometers here in The U.S. have both scales printed on them and digital thermometers can switch from one to the other. It's whatever you grew up with that determines your point of view. Of course, someone working in the field of chemistry or physics is probably going to prefer the Centigrade scale. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Temperate Monster

I grew up on Fahrenheit and the change to Centigrade was virtually
seamless, you quickly adapt. So now I'm comfortable reading both scales,
but C is so much more practical for everday use, plus it is the
universal standard.
Why stubbornly stick to last century thermal measurements!
--
Bod

We Americans are more ornery and resistant to changing our habits than other people of the world. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ornery Monster

I've noticed, plus:

Of all the countries in the world, only three still use the archaic
Imperial system of weights and measures:

Liberia.
Myanmar (a.k.a. €śthe country formerly known as Burma€ť)
United States of America.

It's surprising how much "secret" adoption of SI has gone on here.
Two-liter bottles of Coke. 750-ml bottles of wine. My husband
has both metric and English tools in his workshop. And of course
we use the same second as the rest of the world.

Cindy Hamilton