Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas fire installed - should there be a lintel???

On 04/02/2018 20:49, Gavinda Jaya Jaya wrote:
Hi

I've just had an slimline blanced flue inset gas fire installed (Stdio 2 from https://www.stovax.com/stove-fire/st...ine-gas-fires/ )

It required a new hole around 90cm * 45cm to be fitted into (no chimney involved) - the work was surveyed by the fire company and performed by a Gas Safe registered installer and the fire works just fine.

A small vertical hairline crack has appeared in the existing wall which runs all the way to the ceiling - I'm pretty sure no lintel was installed but I wasn't around when it was installed.

Should it have been? The interior wall is standard breeze block so there would only be a couple of entire blocks hovering above the space.

The fire won't be load bearing but the above wall goes all the way the the apex of the house, so a good 6-7m?

So - should a lintel have been inserted as part of the job?

Gavin

Yes.
--
Cheers,