Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electronics help

On Sunday, 4 February 2018 17:15:59 UTC, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 16:56:31 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 04/02/18 16:47, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 04 Feb 2018 12:30:44 +0000, ss wrote:

As for the other I may as well get a replacement for the faulty diode
and see what happens, now out of interest more than anything else due to
the other charger now working.

Sorry, not read this from the beginning so don't know which diode you're
referring to. Some diodes you can just replace from whatever you find in
your junk box and they'll work just fine. HOWEVER, if your SMPS runs at
(for example) 20khz (some run much faster) then you will NOT fix it by
replacing the diode with another common-or-garden rectifier device. For
these you need a *fast recovery* diode. The low junction capacitance of a
FRD can make all the difference between it working or not. They're not
expensive, but you're highly unlikely to have one lying around. I'm sure
CPC Farnell have them for peanuts, though - order over internet.

Its the mains input side, dear, running at 50Hz

Do you not mean MAINS or maybe *running* at 50Hz

or are his keyboard acrobatics related to the stupidity of the
gibberish :-)

God help any poor soul in the NG that does need assistance :-(

AB

What is this guy's issue?
In case there's any question TNP's comment was correct, and any old diode can not be used, though a good many can.

NT