Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Electronics help

In article , T i m
scribeth thus
On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 21:28:03 +0000, ss wrote:

snip
Mechanical is my thing mostly, like just
started watch repairing which wont be a problem for me as I can
physically see whats wrong, unlike electronics.

Whilst I get what you are saying (and given limitations like the cost
of some diagnostic equipment), you can sorta 'see' what's going on
with some electronics by using a simple DMM or even an oscilloscope
(and you can get PC based / USB jobbies quite cheap these days) or
even just an LED and resistor. ;-)

DIY I will always give something a go before binning.(with safety in mind)

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the 'problem' with diy fixing SMPSU's
is the high voltages often flying about, the frequencies and the
closed loop'edness of them.

One of the common problems with them (and PSU's in general) is
capacitors going bad but you can often spot them and if done soon
enough (like if something starts misbehaving rather than failing
outright as such) you can often save something from dying in a more
complicated way. ;-)

Agree on that look for swollen ones..

Cheers, T i m

--