Posted to uk.d-i-y
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default Tile come off

Brian Reay wrote:
On 03/02/2018 21:38, Simon T wrote:
Had a tile come off my roof last weekend, think it must have come
loose during the high winds we had the other week, then last Saturday
it decided to slide down the roof and perch on the gutter (the sound
of it scraping down the roof being what alerted me to the problem).

Fortunately, I was able to grab it before it fell from its precarious
position and today managed to get up there and put it back in place.

However, what's troubling me is why did that one paricular tile come
loose?

Could be no more than being in just the right place for a 'gust' to do
the job.

Depending on the type/style it may only have been held by 'tabs' over a
battern and the weight of the next row. Others have nails. Some both,
our last house had both as I recall.Â* I've seen clips used on slate
style tiles in France but not seen them here but I've not actively looked.

Having put it back, it seems no less sturdy than any of the other
tiles around it.

Should I be worried at the next high wind again?

Silly questions I know, but this is the first time this has happened
to me in the various homes I've lived in over the last 20 years or so.

I think we've lost 3 in about 40 years- all in the same night (1987).
One survived falling 3 floors (town house) and landed edge on in the
lawn- missing me byÂ* feet. Two shattered. They didn't come from the same
part of the roof.

You really need to check the mounting. If the battern is sound etc.,
refit (which can be fiddly), and don't worry.Â* You generally have to
push a few tiles up, fit the missing one, nail if needed, pull the
displaced tiles back. Wear gloves.

Will it happen again? Perhaps but, unless there is a problem, its
neighbour is just as likely to come off next time.

In Australia we might blame possums.