Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Refrigerator: Fix or Replace ?

On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 13:44:21 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Hotpoint 2.18 ft3 NoFrost CSX22G.

25-30 years old.

Stopped working some weeks ago, found solid ice behind freezer side back
wall, defrosted, and all was well....

...until yesterday, and now it's all iced up again.

I am thinking high probability that the self-defrosting mechanism is out to
lunch and my conundrum is whether to get it repaired or replaced.

I'm thinking $900 for a new replacement, minimum $300 to repair... maybe
more?

"Conundrum" because, before I realized it needed defrosting the first time, I
spent some hours on the phone trying to line up a repair guy. Wound up
trying Sears: $155 just to come out to the house, and then more as
parts/labor dictate. Luckily they never showed up - but also never called
to say they were not going to make it......

So much for Sears...

But I wasn't having any luck lining up any other vendors. Is large
appliance repair becoming a lost art?

Am I trying to fool Mother Nature by getting this thing fixed?

Or is 25-30 years a good time to start thinking "New" ?

It is fast becoming a lost art as the cost of replacement and the cost
of repair start really closing the gap. A 10 year old machine MIGHT be
worth fixing - but not a 30 year old.

A robot can assemble a new one cheaper than a technitiancan
dissassemble an old one