Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Refrigerator: Fix or Replace ?

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 03 Feb 2018 19:12:57 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

micky writes:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 03 Feb 2018 13:49:43 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Hotpoint 2.18 ft3 NoFrost CSX22G.

25-30 years old.

Stopped working some weeks ago, found solid ice behind freezer side back
wall, defrosted, and all was well....

...until yesterday, and now it's all iced up again.

I am thinking high probability that the self-defrosting mechanism is out to
lunch and my conundrum is whether to get it repaired or replaced.

Mine frosted up due to a leaking door seal.
I'd guess this is much more likely than any other cause.

My seal is splitting in one area (or more) at the outer side and nearest
the door, but it doesn't actually open up and when the door is shut,
it's squeezed even tighter, so I don't think that's a problem yet**.

Dan, yours was worse, I suppose??

Put a piece of paper in the door and close it.
You should be able to pull it out but you'll
feel pretty strong drag.
Try in a few places.

Okay.

My door was mounted a bit off.