Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Refrigerator: Fix or Replace ?

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 13:01:41 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 3:56:17 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , lid
says...

Hotpoint 2.18 ft3 NoFrost CSX22G.

25-30 years old.

Stopped working some weeks ago, found solid ice behind freezer side back
wall, defrosted, and all was well....

...until yesterday, and now it's all iced up again.

I am thinking high probability that the self-defrosting mechanism is out to
lunch and my conundrum is whether to get it repaired or replaced.

I'm thinking $900 for a new replacement, minimum $300 to repair... maybe
more?

"Conundrum" because, before I realized it needed defrosting the first time, I
spent some hours on the phone trying to line up a repair guy. Wound up
trying Sears: $155 just to come out to the house, and then more as
parts/labor dictate. Luckily they never showed up - but also never called
to say they were not going to make it......

So much for Sears...

But I wasn't having any luck lining up any other vendors. Is large
appliance repair becoming a lost art?

Am I trying to fool Mother Nature by getting this thing fixed?

Or is 25-30 years a good time to start thinking "New" ?

Anything around the house is a throw away when it comes to repair costs
for items less than $ 1000 or so unless you can do the repair yourself.

Being frozen up tends to indicate a bad fan motor, self defrosting mode
messed up or part controlling it bad.

You got me thinking. How about some paper or something blocking the
path where the air is supposed to flow? Might as well start with the
easiest, cheapest things first. He could go to one of the online
parts sites and look for diagrams of how it's put together and how
it works.

I'd try some DIY items before scrapping it :
: completely thaw it out
: thoroughly clean coils & fan & air-flow areas
: thoroughly clean the chamber/tube that joins
the freezer to the fridge compartments
: thoroughly clean the condensate drainage
: check the price of a new defrost timer and
replace it if it's a cheap one.
can be under $ 20. or well over $ 100.

https://www.amresupply.com/part/5304...-Defrost-Timer

https://www.amresupply.com/part/215846604-USE-CC922