Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Refrigerator: Fix or Replace ?

On 2/3/2018 12:44 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Hotpoint 2.18 ft3 NoFrost CSX22G.

25-30 years old.

Stopped working some weeks ago, found solid ice behind freezer side back
wall, defrosted, and all was well....

[snip]

But I wasn't having any luck lining up any other vendors. Is large
appliance repair becoming a lost art?

Am I trying to fool Mother Nature by getting this thing fixed?

Or is 25-30 years a good time to start thinking "New" ?

At that age, I'd just go for new. As others have said, the new are more
efficient and cheaper to run. Then too, fix the auto defrost and the
compressor will take a hike within a week.

One other consideration, check with your electric company. Here in IL,
Communist Edison is offering a bounty of $100 for older, non-green
units. They come out, pick it up and give you $100. Only caveat is
that it must be in working condition. So. . . defrost it and give them
a call and have them snag it when it's running.

---