Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How To Chamfer Cabinet Door Frame?

On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 10:53:53 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 10:36:09 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
How do you build doors like this one? Frame and panel, M&T joinery, inside
edge is chamfered.

https://tinyurl.com/ChamferDoor

This guys cleans up the corners after routing the assembled frame, but I
can't see (me) doing that for the 120+ corners I'd need to clean up for my
kitchen doors and drawers.

As best I understand, your doors are already built, right? And you want to chamfer the inside panel frame edges, right? You need, or looking for, a non-bearing bit whose profile is 45°, right?

No, Yes and Yes. ;-)

The doors for the current bookcase project is are already built and the
chamfers have been done. In fact, they are ready for primer.

Also, if so, I suppose you are using a hand held router, aligning auxiliary fence(s) for guidance.

Maybe. For the bookcase doors I used a router table, did the chamfers before
assembly and then "fixed" the corners with RockHard and a chisel.

https://i.imgur.com/y9jFZCJ.jpg

As far as the doors for the rest of the kitchen, depending on which of
the various solutions I've been offered, I may indeed be using a handheld
router.

I can mail you this one. You'd need to SLOW grind the profile, a little, to make it 45°. When grinding, make sure its ground equally, so that the bit is balanced. When done, mail it back to me. Is my initial assumptions (as to presently assembled doors) correct... if so, is this bit an option for you? The bit is 1/2" shaft.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to respectfully pass. I think I have
enough viable options to get it done. I may even go as far as changing the
profile slightly to use available cope-and-stick sets such as Infinity offers.
The bookcase set I am building for the kitchen will not be near the rest of
the cabinets and might not even be painted the same color. The doors will
still be shaker-ish, but I don't think that a slightly different (and faster
to make) profile will be a problem.

Couple of pics, scroll right: https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I might have another bit that I could give you, though it'd require more grinding, than the pictured one. I'll have to look further for another one.

Thanks, but don't trouble yourself.

Seriously, thank you very much for the offer.

Sonny