Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default How To Chamfer Cabinet Door Frame?

On 2/2/18 4:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Perhaps building a pattern would work, but even with the four doors
on this project, there are 2 different sizes. Once I start on the
kitchen doors, there are at least 10 different sizes.

I was thinking about this and I don't think it would take very long to
set up a pattern for *all* doors.

The offset for each door would be the same, and the distance to
stop/turn the router at the corners is the same for each door. The only
thing that changes is the length and width of each door, but you don't
really need to worry about that if you set op a corner jig.

A corner jig could be attached to a work table.
The jig would have guide fences for the door that are attached to the
work table.
Straight router guide rails would attach on top of the door fences, and
be set at a distance equal to the offset of your router base, starting
from the inside edges of the rails/stiles.

Now just set a door corner in the guide jig, run the router through that
corner, stopping a little more than half way down/across the top and
side. Then rotate the door 90degrees in the jig and repeat 3x per door.
Quick release cam hold-downs screwed to the jig would facilitate
efficient clamping.

I drew up a quick illustration.
http://mikedrums.com/Chamfer_Router_Jig.PNG

--