Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Month Behind... and its ok.

On 2/1/2018 4:40 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Well, the Hurco isn't perfect, but its a lot better.Â* I've had it busy
the last couple days roughing 4140HT parts to go onto the little
Speedmasters and I am starting to see that the light at the end of the
tunnel is not an oncoming train.Â* Now here is the thing, I've got almost
a 3 month backlog of work because of this particular job and the big
mill being down for a month until I decided what level of ok I was
willing to live with before starting it back up to cut parts.Â* I'm two
weeks beyond the estimated lead time on this particular job, and I just
let the customer know I am going to be another two weeks atleast to
finish and ship their parts complete.Â* Their response?Â* Ok.Â* If you
still want to do this kind of work we have another order about the same
size to place as soon as you are done.Â* In the words of Gunner, "Blink!
Blink!Â* Blink!"

I'm gonna have to raise my prices.

And you're worth thrice what you charge! An old machinist told me that
to estimate a job, get all the facts and figures and figure your labor.
THEN triple your labor charge. That way you won't lose so much money on
the job.