Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Snap-Check+ Setup Tool - Opinions Wanted

On 1/20/2018 11:46 AM, John S wrote:

"Puckdropper" wrote in message ...

"John S" wrote in news
I solved the always dead battery in the
calipers in a different way. There are available, at a variety of
price points, calipers that include a photo cell for power as well as
a back up battery. The one I have needs just a couple of minutes
under a lamp to enable making measurements. My watch doesn't even
have a battery - no more trying to figure out how to open the case to
change a battery. John

Hey, that'd be great... Something like those solar powered (or room
light
powered) calculators from the 90's. Just turn it on and use it. I can
press the zero button--it's not a problem!

I have a credit card sized solar powered calculator called "Mighty Thin"
I bought at Radio Shack in the '70's and not only does it work perfect
with my just my shop lights, but it works off the non-replaceable
battery as well. I can cover the solar cell with my finger and the
damned thing still works. How does a battery last over 40 years?

I also had a multi-meter that had 2 AA batteries that lasted almost that
long. The batteries had no labels when I replaced them, that's how I
knew they were originals. Also recall a childrens book that played
"Iitsy Bitsy Spider" when you opened it. Thing was sitting on book
shelf for around 15 years and it still worked when opened. Go Figure

That's it though, all my other battery experiences have not been any
where near these 3 items.

My digital calibers (not solar) can't keep a battery between uses.
Everytime I use it I need a new battery. Solved that problem by removing
the battery after use, and keeping it in the case.
Same with my Wixy tilt thing-ee, batteries don't last between uses. Both
of these have auto off. I think they should call it auto battery eaters.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com