Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How To Chamfer Cabinet Door Frame?

On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 8:02:19 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/2/18 6:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 6:07:35 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/2/18 4:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 11:02:43 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/2/18 6:17 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 10:57:06 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03
wrote:
On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 7:37:13 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

...snip...

You could use any number of those bits and then run the stiles
through the table saw at 45degress to get your chamfer. You
would end up with a tiny little hollow triangle at the joint, but
you may not notice it, or you could fill it with putty.

I ran a full length chamfer on the rails and a stopped chamfer on
the stiles. After I assembled the doors, I filled the "over shoot"
with Durham's RockHard, then chiseled the chamfer square. I still
need to do a little cleanup, but they are coming out pretty good.

They are going to be painted, so I'm going to lose some detail,
but so be it.

https://i.imgur.com/y9jFZCJ.jpg

Looks good...did you consider using a router after the glue up and
using a sharp chisel to finish the inside corner? With a simple
chamfer it seems do-able. A more complicated profile might not be as
simple... In any case, as have said others, ya dunn gud!

His original post about this had a link pointing to how to do just that.
I think it would be faster.

I'm the rookie here, so tell me what I am missing.

The link in my OP shows a guy squaring up a chamfer on an open frame. I'm
working on a door with a panel. I'm not seeing how the profile I want can
be created after the door is assembled. Neither of chamfer bits I have
would work.

https://i.imgur.com/DYP09CE.jpg

Perhaps building a pattern would work, but even with the four doors on
this project, there are 2 different sizes. Once I start on the kitchen
doors, there are at least 10 different sizes.

Doing a perfect chisel cut on one is difficult.
Doing it on 25 will be easy because by the 3rd one he will have
developed a good technique and he'll fly through the rest with perfect
results.

The thing is that with real wood if you screw it up, you're screwed.
With filler, you can keep filling it until you get it right. Now, I'm not
saying that I had to refill any of the 16 corners that I just did, I'm just
saying that there's a fix available should one need one. ;-)

There's a really cheap 45degree bearing bit out there that doesn't have
a bearing at all. It just had a round shaft that protrudes up. The
shaft acts as the bearing surface for the bit to ride on.
The shaft might be short enough for your application. If it wasn't, you
could probably grind it down so it would be.

I doubt these are cheap, but I get the idea. Thanks.

https://www.infinitytools.com/blog/2...g-router-bits/

25 bucks for the chamfer version ain't bad, especially considering the
quality of that company.

$30 with 10 day shipping, but you are right. I hadn't looked up the price before I posted. I
was surprised it was that cheap. It might be worth giving it a try when I'm ready to do the
rest of the kitchen, but that's going to be a while.