Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default [OT] Searching an online forum

You are finding the reason or at least one of them why forums, or should
that be forii? are so terrible. You cannot do text searches and every single
one has a different keyboard shortcut set or functions.
How on earth they can be better than Usenet makes me despair.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Graeme" wrote in message

Forgive me if this is utter rubbish. I use one particular online forum
quite a lot, as do many others, and a great deal of useful information has
been posted over a good few years. Finding it is the problem. Searching
for a word is OK, but not a phrase. Not a motoring forum, but by way of
example, if I search for morris minor, I can find every message containing
morris OR minor, but not morris AND minor. The forum admin cannot help.

My thinking (this could be the rubbish part) is that the forum records are
effectively a database, and it should therefore be possible to search for
more than one word. I have tried (morris minor), (morris+minor), +morris
+minor and various permutations, without any luck.

Might there be some magic trick that could work, or do forums not work
like that? I would like to be able to search both thread titles and
contents.

Thanks,
--
Graeme