Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] ramjyoung01@gmail.com is offline

Default Using a Sacrificial anode on a car to suppress or at least helpprevent rusting

On Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 2:22:46 AM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
I have had a thought occur to me and i could use confirmation that I
am or i'm not nuts.

First off i live up in snow country and salt country, Ottawa Ontario
Canada

we put enough salt on our roads up here to make the ocean seem fit to
drink. And well Ottawa has one of the most aggressive snow removal and
salt plans going in in the first place.

So heres my question. has anyone or is there any reason not to
deliberately set up a galvanic cell by bolting an amount of magnesium
or zinc to the car body in a place where the elements can hit it? IF
i'm not "nucking futs" then the anode (Magnesium or zinc) getting wet
touching bare steel will set up a galvanic cell with the Mg being
sacrificed and "rusting/oxidizing" away to protect the steel of the
cars bodywork.

Am i nuts? is this doable? does anyone do this? Just curious?

If it matters drive a unibody car with an aluminum block (diesel jetta)

Not Nuts... My '02 sebring had magnesium strut cups that corroded and needed replacement in '14 and no rust . Replaced with aftermarket steel and rust started showing finally last winter after 16 years in new england.