Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default How To Chamfer Cabinet Door Frame?

On 2/2/18 6:17 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 10:57:06 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03
wrote:
On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 7:37:13 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

...snip...

You could use any number of those bits and then run the stiles
through the table saw at 45degress to get your chamfer. You
would end up with a tiny little hollow triangle at the joint, but
you may not notice it, or you could fill it with putty.

I ran a full length chamfer on the rails and a stopped chamfer on
the stiles. After I assembled the doors, I filled the "over shoot"
with Durham's RockHard, then chiseled the chamfer square. I still
need to do a little cleanup, but they are coming out pretty good.

They are going to be painted, so I'm going to lose some detail,
but so be it.

https://i.imgur.com/y9jFZCJ.jpg

Looks good...did you consider using a router after the glue up and
using a sharp chisel to finish the inside corner? With a simple
chamfer it seems do-able. A more complicated profile might not be as
simple... In any case, as have said others, ya dunn gud!

His original post about this had a link pointing to how to do just that.
I think it would be faster.
Doing a perfect chisel cut on one is difficult.
Doing it on 25 will be easy because by the 3rd one he will have
developed a good technique and he'll fly through the rest with perfect
results.

Reminds me of the experiment a ceramics professor did at the school
where I used to work.
He split the class into two groups. He told each class they had the
entire quarter to finish the project.
Group A's assignment was to produce one perfect ceramic pot.
Group B's assignment was to produce 100 pots, irrespective of quality.

At the end of the quarter, Group A had produced a decent ceramic pot
with some minor flaws, struggling to meet the deadline.

About 2 months into the quarter, Group B had produced a few ceramic pots
of poor quality, a few more of decent quality, about a dozen of the
quality of Groups A's single ceramic pot, and about 80 absolutely
perfect ceramic pots.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)