Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default New tougher MOTs.

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
news
On 01/02/2018 11:45, Andrew wrote:
On 29/01/2018 13:46, dennis@home wrote:
Some disabled people are fine for days at a time and then suffer.

Translation:

When being observed or assessed they 'suffer', but the rest of the
time they are fine.

Not always. MS, for example, comes in waves.

Whether they should be entitled to a blue badge when fit is another
question...

I'm sure most disabled people would love to be able to throw away their blue
badge and be able to walk again.

You could rely on people's honesty: that people whose disability comes in
waves will only use their blue badge on a bad day. I wonder what proportion
of people would be that honest, and what proportion would abuse it.

I remember giving a lift to a guy with brittle bone disease who is entitled
to a blue badge. We needed to park somewhere so he directed me to a disabled
space and displayed his blue badge in my car windscreen. As soon as I got
out of the car to get my friend's wheelchair out of the boot, a traffic
warden pounced on me and said "you're not disabled". It gave me great
pleasure to be able to point to the wheelchair and to my friend, and say
"No, but *he* is". With very bad grace, the traffic warden mumbled an
apology and walked away, looking as if I'd offended her.

For the record, my friend says he usually tries to not to park where it's
otherwise illegal (double yellow lines etc), and only uses disabled spaces
for the extra width to get his wheelchair alongside the car: he still pays
the normal fee even though he's entitled to a discount.