Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Bar Clamp Pad Options?

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 2:09:44 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/31/2018 10:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 10:22:37 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm getting way too much exercise from bending over to pick up the rubber pads for my bar
clamps. I can't find anything that will keep them secured to the clamp. Hot glue doesn't work,
doubled sided tape doesn't work, a loop of Gorilla tape doesn't work.

I've got round "caps" for the smart ends and U shaped slip ons for the dumb end. Unless the
pad actually clips onto the clamp, it constantly falls off.

I've read about using adhesive backed cork as a more permanent solution. Before I spend the
time cutting and securing the cork...

1 - Is that a good solution?
2 - Is there a way to keep the rubber pads on? Some kind of degreaser for both the pad
and clamp and then some type of adhesive that works for both materials?

(I use wooden cauls/pads when appropriate. I'm just asking about keeping the rubber pads on
so I don't have to chase them around the shop anymore.)

Thanks!

I just saw these in the latest Rockler catalog. I'm not sure I like the idea of a "round peg in
square hole", so to speak, but they look like they would stay on.

http://www.rockler.com/clamp-pads-fo...-piston-clamps

Are you using pads for aluminum bar clamps? I never used pads on that
style clamp at all, only on the cast iron pipe clamp ends. Food for
thought.

How do you avoid damaging the wood? Metal clamped to wood tends to leave a
mark, doesn't it?

I'm talking about these.

https://i.imgur.com/ODq6WZv.jpg

The Bessey's came with pads and they stay on fine. My old Jorgensens came
naked and those are the ones that are wearing me out, chasing the pads
across the shop. None of the generic pads fit.

I found links for Jorgensen 7437 pads but Amazon, Sears, B&H Photo, just
about everyone that carried them say they are no longer available. The
one place that claims they have them wants $4.31 for 4 pairs. Not bad,
but get this: Shipping is $12.95 for one set, 21.95 for 2 sets and $29.95
for 3 sets. WTF!

https://www.hammerheadsupply.com/pro...bar-clamp-pads

I'll keep looking for another source because those seem like they should
work.

You will certainly need to insure that you clamping force is flat on the
wood surface.

Those clamps would still dent softer woods, woodn't they? ;-)