Posted to rec.woodworking
sawdustmaker sawdustmaker is offline

Default Bar Clamp Pad Options?

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

I'm getting way too much exercise from bending over to pick up the
rubber pads for my bar clamps. I can't find anything that will keep
them secured to the clamp. Hot glue doesn't work, doubled sided tape
doesn't work, a loop of Gorilla tape doesn't work.

I've got round "caps" for the smart ends and U shaped slip ons for the
dumb end. Unless the pad actually clips onto the clamp, it constantly
falls off.

I've read about using adhesive backed cork as a more permanent
solution. Before I spend the time cutting and securing the cork...

1 - Is that a good solution?
2 - Is there a way to keep the rubber pads on? Some kind of degreaser
for both the pad and clamp and then some type of adhesive that works
for both materials?

(I use wooden cauls/pads when appropriate. I'm just asking about
keeping the rubber pads on so I don't have to chase them around the
shop anymore.)

Thanks!

I've used leather pads, cut from old gloves, attached with contact cement
for many years on all my clamps. Never had a problem.