Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Toilet seat not staying up?

2008, surely its solved by now.
Anyway, normally you can find toilet seats with enough crank on the hinge
to manage to stay up and some have a soft click position to help them do so.
I have one of them posh slow drop down ones.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
On Wednesday, 17 September 2008 19:37:44 UTC+1, Gareth wrote:
I can't find any solution to this problem - the toilet cistern seems to
be a
bit too far forward for the seat to stay up.

I've tried altering the position of the fixings (and even lost a double
hole
washer down the toilet in the process - and can't find anywhere to buy a
replacement!)

Has anyone else had the same problem and managed to solve it without
raising
the cistern?

Solutions for toilet seat won't stay up

1. Attach a flat magnet to the underside of the seat.
2. Attach a ferromagnetic metal to a short string attached to a hook
attached to the side of the cistern. I used a tablecloth weight as sold by
Lidl/Aldi. lift the seat and attach the metal to the magnet.
or attach a cord around the cistern or to a hook on the side of the
cistern and adjust it with one of those spring tighteners you find on
waterproof jackets and hold the seat up with a loop of cord thus: sorry
pictures don't appear here.
5.