Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Swamp cooler fan speed control

On 30/01/18 18:24, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Hi All,

Subject says it all. We have a 110vac, 1/3hp, 2-speed motor on the swamp.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-Speed-...2204/100013540

I would like to have variable speed. Are there any kinds of controllers that will do this without changing motors?

The Low speed is not low enough so I a looking to just use the High speed wire to the motor and spread control over the entire rpm range.

I am looking for a low cost thing. Kinda like a ceiling fan control that handles a 1/2hp motor. I say "1/2hp" for a little wiggle room if I have to change motors at some time in the future.

Possible?

Thanks

My understanding is that both PSC and shaded pole motors can be speed
controlled to a degree by voltage control. I have a Comair Rotron
Caravel fan, not as big as your motor, which is controlled through a ebm
ziehl REE10 speed controller and it works very well giving a wide range
of speed. It does make the fan buzz a bit at some settings so I get the
impression the controller may be a phase angle controller but haven't
put a scope on it to check and haven't checked what the fan is but it
has no external capacitor so likely shaded pole.