Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ABLE1[_3_] ABLE1[_3_] is offline

Default Micrometers - Sentimentality

On 1/29/2018 8:05 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I must be getting old.Â* I usedta never was sentimental about things.

Anyway, yesterday I went through all my micrometers and the ones that
measured the most accurately and consistently using gage blocks and the
few Starret standards I have were the Starretts.Â* Those all came from my
Grampa Klements and they are all very old.Â* Some may be 80-100 years
old.Â* I was quite surprised.Â*Â* But not only were they consistent over a
range, but they were all adjusted.Â* None were tight or sticky or anything.

In those from my grandfather there were two marked JT Slocomb.Â* They
actually checked pretty close on the line and over their range, but they
were both quite stiff.Â* I wonder if it would be ok to soaked them in
acetone to get any gunk out of them.

Next were my modern El Cheapo Chinese micrometers.Â* I've only actually
bought one.Â* The others just came to me here and there.Â* They were all
pretty decent.Â* Most were within a couple tenths over their range. I did
have to adjust a couple, but they measured consistently at minimum and
maximum range.Â* All of them.Â* One set of Speedways that came out of a
pile of salvage from an old house were all as good as I could expect for
cheap imports.

Last, and the other set I had hoped would be good were a set of four
Companion D.J. 0-4 inch.Â* My dad told me they were cheap when he gave
them to me, but atleast I didn't have to engrave them.Â* They all were
already marked with R. La Londe.Â* (his name and mine)Â* The 0-1" was dead
on when I checked it with a gage block, but the standard that came with
it was about a half thou off.Â* Two of the others measured consistently
but where off.Â* One by .00016 and the other by .004.Â* The biggest one I
couldn't get a consistent measurement out of to save my life, and it was
very stiff.Â* When I rolled the barrel out I could see it was full of
some old sticky gunk.Â* Again... I wonder if I can soak it in some
acetone.Â* I'd like to adjust the other two, but I don't see how.Â* They
do not adjust the same way as any of my other micrometers, and the case
doesn't have any kind of tool or even a slot for one.

Interestingly every single 0-1" I have was good.Â* No matter the brand or
where it came from.

Hey Bob,
Just thought I would contribute a small note on topic of Micrometers.

A few years ago I was at a auction and up for bid was a
Brown & Sharpe 1/2" Micrometer in it's original case.

I somehow became the high bidder at $37.00

Really don't know the age but it have to be very rare.

Hard to say why they would make a 1/2" Mic but they did. Rather cool!!

As for soaking in acetone, I would vote yes. But then after drying
use a very light oil and very small amount.

Good Luck!!

Les